August 7, 2019
General Steel Building Maintenance Tips
It is easy to prevent potential problems for metal building gutters.
How? By simply cleaning your gutters regularly.
How Often Do Metal Building Gutters Need Cleaning?
Gutter cleaning depends on the type of gutter, climate, location, and tree cover. For example, here are a few guidelines for general steel building gutter maintenance:
- Annual gutter cleaning suffices for open areas in milder climates. However, most gutter manufacturers advise semi-annual gutter cleanings.
- Structures surrounded by overhanging trees require more frequent cleaning. Therefore, installing gutter guards— which block leaves, twigs, and wildlife nests— means less frequent gutter cleaning is needed.
- In areas heavily populated by birds, chipmunks, and squirrels, examine and clean gutters a minimum of twice a year.
When to Clean Steel Building Gutters
Clean gutters in the late fall. That prevents leaves and debris from clogging the draining system in winter.
In snow-prone climates, blocked gutters and downspouts cause multiple challenges.
For example, congested gutters can freeze solid, creating a bottleneck. Snow and ice linger longer, increasing the weight straining the roof. Ice dams may form. (In fact, in exceptionally heavy snow areas, it might be best to forego gutters on structures.)
Check gutters before scheduled building washes. Clean gutters of dirt and debris before washing the structure.
How to Clean Gutters on Steel Buildings
It is a simple project to clean metal building gutters. Just follow these general steel building tips for gutters:
- Choose a stretch of rain-free days. Dry debris is easier to dislodge from gutters than soggy trash.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Do not attempt to clean gutters from the roof, leaning over the edge.
- Work from a sturdy ladder.
- Do not stand above the top three rungs of the ladder. Do not reach to the side too far. Make sure the center of your body never crosses beyond either side of the ladder.
- Attach two buckets to the ladder with hooks, one for gutter debris and one for tools.
- Check the downspout strainers. Remove and clean if blocked.
- Begin cleaning at a downspout, the most likely spot for trash fragments to collect. Scoop out the large rubble from the trough with a trowel or a gutter scoop. Deposit it in your bucket.
- After removing the large muck, gently wash small particles and dirt away with a garden hose or a pressure washer on the lowest setting. Flush the gutters from the end opposite the downspout.
- If the gutter does not drain, recheck the downspouts for obstructions. If the downspout still does not drain, try inserting a plumber’s “snake” through the downspout to dislodge the blockage.
Not a do-it-yourselfer?
Does climbing a ladder make you woozy? Do not use that as an excuse to neglect gutter upkeep.
Most gutter installation contractors offer gutter cleaning services for a reasonable fee. Call several providers in your area to determine the best price. Ask for references.
For your own protection, choose a bonded service. Be sure they have both worker’s compensation and liability insurance.
Keep metal building gutters and downspouts clear. Stop roof and foundation complications before they start.
RHINO’s Easy-to-Clean Gutters
On average, 60% of our RHINO steel building customers opt to include gutters and downspouts with their orders.
RHINO heavy-duty gutter systems install easily. Moreover, our steel building gutters channel away even flooding downpours. Just look at these RHINO steel building gutter features:
- Our high-grade 26-gauge steel gutters are extra-large— 7” x 7”. A RHINO metal building gutter system comes in 10’ or 20’ sections.
- In addition, our extra wide-throated steel downspouts are 4” x 5”.
- RHINO steel building gutters come in an array of colors. These colors may complement or match the trim colors of the metal buildings.
Want more information on metal buildings? Or want to know more about our gutters and downspouts for steel buildings?
Please call RHINO now at 940-383-9566.
Depend on our knowledgeable metal building consultants. They provide excellent answers all your questions about metal buildings.
(Updated 7-31-2019. Originally published 9-30-2016.)