April 4, 2013
Answering the One Question Everyone Asks About Steel Buildings
The question asked most often at RHINO Steel Buildings is, “How much does a metal building cost?” Unfortunately, that’s like asking, “How long is a piece of string?”
Many Factors Affect Metal Building Costs
There are so many variables for a prefabricated metal building. You can visit RHINO’s service center for more information or you can read about just a few of the elements that determine the final cost of a building project:
- Building codes for your area for and, snow, and seismic loads
- Clear span framing
- Complexity of the design
- Exterior finishing materials
- Foundation requirements for end use of the building
- Foundation requirements for specific locale
- Insulation package
- Local labor costs
- Maximum occupancy of the building
- Metal building accessories added
- Number and size of door, window, and openings
- Price of steel and any other building materials at the time of the order and during construction
- Rental equipment needed for framing erection
- Roofline shape
- Shipping charges for delivery to the jobsite
- Site conditions
- Weather conditions impacting the construction schedule
- Width, length, and eave height
- Zoning restrictions
With so many variables, arriving at a price without quoting a specific building at a given location boggles the mind.
Approximate Pricing for a Metal Building
That being said, here are a few “ballpark” price ranges for some of the expenses involved in a metal building project.
Please keep in mind that these are general guidelines. Costs vary greatly from place to place, project to project, and even time to time, as material prices fluctuate.
The following estimates are based on a typical 5,000 sq. ft. standard RHINO metal building. The price includes two overhead doors, one 3070 walk-in door, insulation, Letter of Certification, engineer-stamped plans, and freight to the jobsite from our nearest manufacturing plant.
- $7.50-$8.50 per sq. ft. for a prefabricated metal building kit (with above accessories)
- $5.50-$6.00 per sq. ft. for a concrete slab foundation 4” thick
- $3.50-$4.00 per sq. ft. for framing erection with insulation and typical accessories
- Total: $16.50-$18.50 per sq. ft. to get in the dry on a concrete slab
- (These estimates based on pricing as of April 2013.)
Order a RHINO Metal Building Today
For a fast estimate on a metal building of a given size, try the Quick Quote form on our Web site. For a detailed estimate a specific metal building, call RHINO toll free at 888.320.7466. Our knowledgeable and friendly steel building specialists will be happy to discuss your project with you.