Menu Close

Do Your New Year’s Resolutions Go Down in Flames?

10 Solutions to Keeping Your Resolutions on Track in 2016

Research shows about 45% of Americans make New Year’s resolutions. More than 25% of those resolutions will crash and burn by the end of this week.

We all really want to improve our health, finances, career, or relationships. We start the year with boundless optimism and determination, yet only 8% of resolution-makers succeed.

January 2016 calendar and party hat, with the caption "Resolutions"The following solutions will help make your 2016 New Year’s resolutions become a reality:

10 Ways to Stick to Your Goals

1. NARROW the LIST: Don’t make too many New Year’s resolutions. Diluting your focus over too many changes virtually grantees you will be overwhelmed— and ultimately fail. Choose only the goals most important to you. Succeeding at one goal is a vast improvement over failing to meet a dozen goals.

2. BE CONCISE: Be specific about exactly what you want to accomplish. Be sure your goals are both realistic and measurable. For example, deciding to lose “some weight” is too vague a goal. Planning to lose 30 pounds gives you a measurable, solid goal. However, declaring you will lose 30 pounds in one month is unrealistic.

3. WRITE IT DOWN: Make your New Year’s resolutions concrete by writing them down. A Harvard Business School study discovered that only 3% of their graduates had specific, written goals at graduation. Those focused goal-setters in the 3% collectively earned TEN TIMES AS MUCH as the combined income of the remaining 97% who had no written goals.

4. BREAK IT DOWN: Ever heard this expression: “By the mile, it’s a trial; by the inch, it’s a cinch”? That little homily certainly holds true when setting goals. Again using the example of losing weight, let’s say you plan to lose 30 pounds in six months. That breaks down to only five pounds a month, or 1.25 pounds per week. That is doable, measurable, and realistic.

5. BE ACCOUNTABLE: Engage friends or family members who will support you in your New Year’s resolution. Ask someone you trust to hold you accountable. Even better, find a like-minded person who shares your goal. Using the buddy system lets you cheer each along the way toward victory.

6. CELEBRATE SMALL VICTORIES: There is no reason to wait until you reach your goal to experience victory. Reward yourself as you meet small milestones along the way. Acknowledging your progress keeps you motivated and moving forward. For example, if you plan to lose 30 pounds in six months, you might treat yourself to a night out with friends or a new pair of jeans every time you lose another five pounds.

7. EXPECT SETBACKS: If you are assuming everything to go perfectly, you are setting yourself up to fail. You will invariably suffer little setbacks along the way to reaching your goals. Expect some challenges in the process. Don’t let one setback derail you from your goal. Get right back on track.

8. CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK: You are human. You will make mistakes. Rather than wasting energy beating yourself up for straying off the straight and narrow, forgive yourself and push on toward the goal.

9. VISUALIZE the OUTCOME: When the process bogs down, focus on the outcome. What will reaching your goal accomplish in your life? How will your life improve? How will success feel?

10. ENJOY the JOURNEY: Stay positive. Look at what you have accomplished so far. Be determined to overlook your mistakes and simply revel in your small triumphs on the way to success.


RHINO-Brochure-Cover.jpgThese helpful tips are courtesy of RHINO Steel Building Systems. If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to complete a building project in 2016, call RHINO now for a free quote or more information on our pre-engineered metal building systems.

Our number is 940.383.9566.