Fascinating Facts about the Most Fantastic Factory on Earth
The world’s largest steel building— the Boeing Aircraft Plant in Everett, WA— defies imagination. The “Guinness Book of World Records” proclaims it the largest building— by volume— on the planet.
Fast Facts about the World’s Largest Steel Building
The size and scope of the sprawling Boeing Aircraft Plant boggle the mind:
- The 2,800 workers who cleared the land and prepared the site for construction moved more earth than was excavated in building the Panama Canal— and Grand Coulee Dam— combined.
- Each of the hangar doors is roughly the size of an American football field, measuring 87’ x 300’.
- According to the “Guinness Book of World Records,” the paintings on the six hangars doors create the largest digital mural in the world.
- Today the 5.5 million square foot Boeing Everett Plant contains more than 472 million cubic feet of space.
- The structure is 120’ tall.
- The building covers 98.3 acres of space under one roof.
- The monstrous structure could house all of Disneyland in California— and still have room for parking!
- The colossal structure could hold 75 NFL football fields.
- The structure is so massive, workers often take months to learn how to navigate in the building.
- The perimeter walls of the structure measure 2.2 miles.
- Pedestrian tunnels beneath the plant cover 2.3 miles.
- Boeing supplies a fleet of 1,300 bicycles and adult-sized tricycles— plus numerous golf carts— for transportation within the building.
- Over 2,100 average sized American homes could fit within the Boeing Everett Plant.
- Washington’s moisture-laden air initially caused plant problems. When it was first completed, clouds formed under the roof. The humidity played havoc with aircraft production, so Boeing installed an air circulation system to disperse the moisture.
- Enormous ponds near the plant— created to collect the runoff from Washington’s numerous storms— are large enough to float ships.
- Washington’s mild climate saves the company from the added expense of air conditioning and heating. On warm days, opening the gigantic hangar doors and turning on fans supplies adequate ventilation. On cold winter days, workers close hangar doors. The body heat and light bulbs in the ceiling create sufficient warmth.
- One million light bulbs brighten the interior.
- The plant employs about 30,000 workers in three shifts.
- The Boeing Everett Plant operates like a small city. It has its own fire department, a fully equipped medical clinic, and a security force— complete with explosive-sniffing K-9s.
- The Boeing factory includes an electrical substation and its own water treatment plant.
- Nineteen cafeterias serve 17,000 meals each day across the factory.
- Within the plant, nine very busy coffee shops keep employees caffeinated and revved for work.
- Boeing includes a day care center and a fitness center for the convenience of plant employees.
- The ceiling contains 39 miles of track for the 26 overhead cranes. The cranes in the building can lift 1.9 million pounds of weight.
You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet
The Boeing Everett Plant continues to expand to accommodate the company’s new 777X aircraft.
A 200,000 square foot expansion on the southeast corner of the main plant is scheduled for completion this year.
Plans for a 1.3 million square foot wing assembly plant to support the new 777X began in February 2015, north of the main building
In April of this year, Boeing began construction of two more buildings at the Everett facility. The first is an 110,000 square foot structure near the delivery center. The second structure is a 39,758 square foot hangar, expected to be complete by 2016.
Expansion Made Easy with Steel
The largest steel building in the world continues to grow with the company. Your steel building can do the same thing.
RHINO pre-engineered steel buildings are easy and economical to expand as your business grows. Bays for RHINO structures are typically spaced 20’-25’ apart. Expansion requires adding additional bays at either— or both— ends of the structure. There is literally no limit to how long a RHINO steel building can be.
Expansions on the side of the structure are also possible, if the site and situation demand it.
Get your own world-class steel building project underway today. Call RHINO Steel Building Systems now. Our experienced steel building specialists await your call at our number: 940.383.9566.