February 27, 2018
Part 3— Why Steel Continues to Lead Self-Storage Construction
Steel construction frames the vast majority of self-storage buildings— and with good reason.
Since the emergence of self-storage operations in Texas in the mid-1960s, pre-engineered metal buildings (PEMBs) have provided the benefits mini-warehouse owners love. PEMBs are:
- Affordable to buy
- Colorful and attractive
- Damage resistant
- Delivered quickly
- Easy to expand
- Economical to operate
- Low maintenance
- Quick to erect
- Simple and fast to erect
- Strong and durable
Presently, the self-storage business is experiencing exponential growth. The industry is adapting to new trends and technologies.
In today’s rapidly changing marketplace, do prefabricated steel buildings still fulfill the needs of the self-storage industry?
New Developments in Self-Storage Construction
Self-storage was once considered the plain Jane of real estate investments. Previously, any bald rural hillside with rows and rows of garage-door-clad cubicles would do.
Those days are gone.
Consumers now demand more from the business that houses their cherished “treasures” and overflowing junk. Consequently, modern min-warehouses are changing from ugly ducklings to stylish swans.
Just look at some of these new developments in self-storage:
- Customers prefer to keep their stored stuff close by. Therefore, self-storage facilities now locate in commercial locations conveniently near residential areas.
- Today’s urban self-storage operations reflect the stylish look of surrounding structures. Consequently, new mini-warehouses blend seamlessly into the neighborhood.
- Two-story self-storage buildings with indoor access units are gaining in popularity.
- Onsite retail stores provide customers with moving materials and implements. Truck rentals also grace many larger self-storage facilities.
- In prime traffic locations, owners may include a coffee and refreshment area. Bolder still, some operations now add a franchise-type fast-food restaurant to the facility, usually with street access on the ground floor.
- New trends in amenities include attractive and well-maintained landscaping, secure fencing, wider paved driveways, brighter lighting, keypad access, and high-tech security features.
- Premium self-storage operations now boast vault storage, business document storing, and more climate-controlled units.
- For the ultimate in convenience, larger warehouse operations deliver large walk-in containers directly to the customer. When the customer has packed the container, the self-storage company picks it up and stores it in stackable warehousing.
RHINO Steel Self-Storage Buildings
Whether you are building a traditional self-storage facility, an upscale urban mini-warehouse operation, or expanding a current storage business, trust RHINO-tough steel buildings to provide:
The façade of RHINO self-storage steel buildings can match any design required. Add brick, stone, stucco, fiber cement siding, glass, or tilt-up concrete as desired. Traditional steel panels are also available in a rainbow of attractive colors.
Do you want to know more about RHINO’s self-storage buildings? Simply call us now at 888.320.7466. Discover The RHINO Difference in metal buildings today!