Home Alone: Steel Buildings for Backyard Hideaways, Part 7
In the last article, we discussed getting healthy and fit with a pre-engineered steel building home gym in your own backyard. While looking and feeling your best is great, insuring the health and well-being of your family is even more important.
Our kids pick up our habits— good or bad. If we live a lifestyle built on fast food, junk food, and inactivity, so will our kids.
The #1 Health Concern Among Parents: Childhood Obesity
Childhood obesity is an epidemic. Many health professionals now consider the catastrophic results of poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyles to be more dangerous to kids today than drug abuse or smoking.
The statistics on childhood obesity and physical inactivity are frightening:
- In the past 30 years, obesity has doubled in children age 11 and under— and quadrupled in adolescents from 12-19 years old.
- Today almost one third of all children and teens are overweight or obese.
- Overweight and inactive kids are far more likely to suffer from breathing problems, elevated cholesterol levels, pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, joint problems, trouble sleeping, and self-esteem issues.
- A recent study found plaque build-up in the arteries in the necks of obese children very similar to that found in middle-aged adults.
- Studies show obese children from 10-13 years of age are 80% more likely to be obese as adults.
- Obesity in children and adolescents is increasing the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, many types of cancer, and osteoarthritis in later life.
- Many parents are in denial: Only 15% of parents admit their kids are overweight, while statistics prove over 32% of children are actually overweight or obese.
- Surprisingly, 35% of parents do acknowledge it is difficult to make sure their kids get enough exercise.
- Reportedly, 27% of young Americans today are too unfit to serve in the military. As many as 15,000 recruits annually fail their physicals because of their weight.
- Several studies have shown that children at a healthy weight perform better scholastically, have a stronger self-image, and have markedly better motor skills than overweight and inactive children.
- A whopping 23% of all deaths from chronic disease in the U.S. are directly attributed to obesity.
- In this electronic age, children and adults alike spend far too many hours with cell phones, emails, texting, computer games, online, and watching TV. The resulting sedentary lifestyle is stealing the health of an entire generation.
- Shockingly, 89% of kids today between four and five years old spend over two hours a day watching TV or DVDs.
- Increased TV time also exponentially increases a child’s junk food tendencies, as they are constantly exposed to ads for snack foods high in salt, sugar, and fat.
- Children who spend excessive amount of “screen” time— on computers, watching TV, playing video games, etc.— tend to exhibit increased levels of anxiety and depression.
Your Health Choices Directly Impact Your Children’s Lives
If you do not make your health a priority, neither will your children.
Except no more excuses— from you or your kids.
Make fitness a family tradition. Exercise daily with your kids in a metal building home gym. Having a private gym “health club” in your own backyard makes family fitness fun— and convenient.
Be an example for your children. Eat right, exercise daily, and share the experience with your whole family.
Remember, the habits your children form now will follow them into adulthood.
Build Your Own Backyard Family Fitness Center with a Steel Building Home Gym
Get started on the road to better health for you and your family. Order your own RHINO metal building home gym today.
Pre-engineered metal building home gyms are affordable, durable, quick to assemble, economical to operate, easy to maintain, attractive, and strong. Our universal gym buildings for sale will add value to your property— and years to your life, when you make dedicated use of them.
We can supply any size structure you need, from a cozy weight and exercise space, to a full-sized basketball court or indoor inline skating rink.
Design a metal building home gym for the health and future of your family. Call a RHINO steel building adviser today at 940.383.9566.
(Guess it is never too early to start your kids exercising. Check out this video. )