Steel Building Systems, Inc
There is a new construction champion today: pre-engineered metal buildings.
Traditional wood framing controlled all low-rise construction in days of yore. Builders had an “if-it-works-don’t-fix-it mentality” about building with lumber. Wood building was tried, true, and familiar, so why change?
Steel now claims 65% of new commercial construction and 95% of new industrial building.
Today’s pre-engineered red-iron steel buildings triumphs over old-fashioned wood construction, forcing serious builders to get on board (so to speak) with steel framing.
There is simply no comparison. The advantages of steel construction trump wood every time.
1. COMPLIANT: Metal buildings easily comply with all local building codes. Building officials are so use to dealing with dependable pre-engineered steel buildings. Builders often find the approval process goes much smoother for a metal building and other types of structures.
RHINO’s buildings all include a Letter of Certification and Engineer Stamped Prints stating that the framing will meet or exceed the design loads required— for the lifetime of the building.
2. CONSISTANT: Wood is, by nature, inconsistent. No two species of wood are exactly alike in strength and no two trees of the same species are alike. A tree’s species, age, growing conditions, climate, rainfall, soil, insect infestation, and disease affect the strength of the wood it supplies.
Steel’s strength characteristics are known and precise. Manufactured to rigorous national industry standards, steel remains reliable and consistent. Every piece of steel of a certain gauge performs exactly as all others like it.
3. COST: The affordability of steel building kits, erection, and operation pleasantly surprises first-time buyers. Certainly, if steel buildings weren’t competitively priced, they would not enjoy the dominance they now have in the commercial and industrial markets.
4. ECONOMICAL: RHINO keeps shipping changes to a minimum, by using multiple shipping points across the U.S.
Because of the lower risk of fire, most insurance carriers offer substantial discounts for buildings framed with commercial grade steel.
The extra-deep wall cavities in a pre-engineered metal building allow the use of thicker, more energy-efficient insulation. RHINO’s Pro-Value insulation package typically slashes heating and cooling costs in half.
(Optional cool-coated roofing panels decrease summer energy bills by 15% in hotter climates.)
5. EFFICIENT: Sophisticated steel engineering software dramatically reduces design time for metal buildings, making optimal use of steel’s inherent strength. Every column, rafter, girt, or purlin supports an exact and known load. High-tech engineering software quickly creates a design taking full advantage of the strength and stability of steel.
A pre-engineered steel building ships with the minimum amount of steel required for the specifications required. I any steel framing waste remains after construction, it is easily sold to the nearest metal scrap yard.
Wood structures, on the other hand, produce prodigious amounts of waste. Many builders find they waste 15% or more just culling out the inferior lumber delivered. Removing the giant mound of debris left over from a wood building site adds to the project’s costs.
Recent improvements in steel production make today’s steel stronger than ever before, allowing less steel to support even greater weights.
6. EXPANDABLE: Metal buildings make remodeling quick and easy. Enlarging the building at either endwall just requires ordering frames to match the original structure.
7. GREEN: Environmentalists recognize steel as the greenest building material, due largely on to its high-recycled content. RHINO steel buildings, for example, contain as much as 90.7% recycled steel.
The U.S. Green Building Council calls steel framing “the logical and responsible choice for Green Building.” The LEED (Leadership for Energy & Environmental Design) awards steel buildings an automatic minimum default on its point system— the only structural material so designated.
8. HEALTHIER: Steel framing does not require the harsh chemical termicide treatments so necessary for wood framing, eliminating an indoor pollutant.
Lumber products outgas, releasing chemicals and reducing indoor air quality.
Mold actually feeds on organic materials like wood. As an inorganic material, steel never attracts nor feeds mold and mildew. Mold’s air-borne spores play havoc with anyone with sensitive allergies, asthma, COPD, and other lung conditions.
Chemically sensitive people often prefer steel framing.
Properly insulated, the thick walls of a steel building reduce outside noise, creating a quieter building, too.
9. LONGEVITY: Steel buildings defy aging. They hold their beauty and value for decades longer than ordinary structures. Metal buildings stay straight and true for decades longer than wood structures.
The stronger connectors used in quality steel buildings do not work out as the nails used in wood buildings do.
10. PRE-ENGINEERED: A consistent and predictable building material, steel lends itself well to state-of-the-art computer aided design and engineering software. Three-dimensional structural analysis software assures structural integrity throughout the structure.
The software generates manufacturing drawings for individual framing components quickly and efficiently, speeding up the manufacturing process.
For details about RHINO metal buildings and their limitless possibilities, please call one of our steel building specialists right now. They make the ordering process simple and efficient. Call us toll free at 888.320.7466 for a free quote on your current construction project.
Be sure to look for “10 MORE Reasons Metal Buildings Rule” in our next blog!